The more I bake new things, the more I realize how much of an art it is. Baking requires absolute patience and of course, passion to stay dedicated.
I have a major interest in healthy baking and making healthy desserts, since the subject intrigues me and I am constantly looking for ways to live more consciously and be aware of the food choices I make.
That way we can eat all the yummy dessert 😀 without feeling guilty about our choices.
Hence, today I am presenting to you a recipe of mine which is a “healthy” cake.
This cake is gluten free and vegan. (you can substitute vegan milk with dairy milk if you are a vegetarian)
It has the goodness of plums. I decided to make the plums since I had a couple of fresh plums at hand and also because I remembered the plum cakes I used to love as a child 😀
The only sugar the cake has, is the one which I have sprinkled on top of the cake for aesthetic purposes and it’s not mandatory for you to do the same.
Other than that, this cake is quite a healthy dessert, with lots of goodness in it.
So what are you waiting for, go ahead, read the recipe and let us know when you try it!
- 2 cups oat flour (Powder and grind rolled oats or any other type of oats you have)
- 4 Fresh plums
- jaggery 2 tablespoons (You can use maple syrup or agave if you don’t have jaggery or haven’t used it)
- Vanilla essence 2 teaspoons
- Baking soda 1-2 teaspoons
- Vinegar 2 teaspoons
- Soya milk (Or any other milk of your choice) half cup
- Water 1/4 cup.
- Vegan butter/ normal butter depending on whether you are vegan or vegetarian 1 and half to 2 tbsps
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil.
- Optional but will enhance flavor- Orange zest/ Lemon zest. (2 tablespoons)
You can use powdered sugar 1 tablespoon, to sprinkle on top like I have.
- Mix the oat flour, milk, vanilla essence, and water together. The batter should not be very thick. It should be runny but not very watery. Adjust quantity of milk if required, to get the right consistency.
- Add the butter and oil, both. Melt and add butter if butter is too hard after you remove it from the refrigerator.
- Add the jaggery to it. You can either chop the jaggery or grind it finely or melt it.
- Chop the plums into whatever shape and size you want. I wanted big pieces so didn’t chop them too fine.
- Add the plums to the batter and mix the batter well.
- Lastly, add the baking soda and vinegar. Mix the batter in one direction only now.
- Let the batter sit for sometime till you see bubbles forming.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F)
- In the meantime, pour your batter into a greased cake pan of your choice.
- Don’t forget to grease your cake pan with either oil or butter. You can use greased foil/ paper as well to not let your cake stick to your pan.
- Once the oven has been preheated, place your cake pan in the oven.
- Bake the cake for 35 to 40 mins at 180°C (356°F).
- After 30 mins pass by, keep checking your cake. Use a toothpick to test whether your cake is done or not.
- Once the cake is done, it will not stick to your toothpick.
- Maximum time it should take is 45 mins, but it depends on what type of oven you have, since every oven is different and baking time may slightly vary. So keep a watch.
That’s it, your fresh plum cake is ready!!
Remove your cake from the pan and allow it to cool. Place it on a plate or cooling rack. Once your cake has cooled, you can refrigerate it.
You can top your cake with powdered sugar once it is done, just to add a little bit of effect of a nice plum cake. Do it only when it has cooled completely, since the sugar will melt if you immediately put it on top of the cake.
That’s it!! Your healthy, yummy, gluten-free cake is ready to be served and eaten. As you can see, there is hardly any added sweetness to this cake, except for the sugar we topped it with.
Hence, it makes for a healthy, guilt free dessert or meal and can be easily made any time, to satisfy your sweet tooth.
It’s a win win recipe for health freaks and dessert lovers.
Do try this recipe and let us know if you like it.
Until the next post,
Dream, Imagine, Be Crazy, Be You.