*Disclosure* Some of the links in this post might be affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link & make a purchase, I’ll receive some commission- at no extra cost to you, which helps me cover the costs for this blog.
As someone who grew up in India, I remember waiting for summer to eat mangoes. I used to hate the heat, but love the mangoes. I think I still feel the same way! 😀
My all time favourite have always been alphonso mangoes. Alphonso mangoes are found in certain specific parts of India & trust me, they are amazing! They are called the king of mangoes and taste very unique.
So this month, when I finally had the chance to buy some alphonso mangoes in Singapore, I decided to put them to good use by baking an easy mango cake!
I understand that alphonso mangoes are not available easily worldwide & this recipe can be made with any variety of mangoes available to you. Afterall, all mangoes are fantastic irrespective of the variety they belong to.
This recipe is vegan. If you use dairy, you can substitute it with normal milk.
This is a hearty cake which is perfect for a quick healthy & delicious bite.This mango cake is also made from whole wheat flour so it is quite healthy. It is also low on sugar since the cake has lots of sweetness from the mangoes.
It is best to use fully ripe mangoes for this recipe.
- 2 Pureed Mangoes (I used Alphonso) approx 2 to 2 & 1/2 cups
- 2 & 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup oil
- Soy milk (or any milk of choice) as per requirement
- 1/2 cup (or as per taste) powdered sugar/ maple syrup/powdered jaggery
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsps vinegar
- 1 cup Chocolate chips/ any chocolate bar of your choice
- 2-3 tbsp coconut milk/ any milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- Freshly chopped mangoes
- 4-5 Holy Basil (tulsi) leaves (optional)
- In a bowl mix the mango puree & whole wheat flour. Then add the oil, powdered sugar & vanilla essence.
- Add soy milk as per requirement to make batter in a thick consistency, neither too runny nor too solid.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In the meanwhile, add baking soda, baking powder & vinegar to your cake batter. Make sure to stir the batter in one direction only, to activate the baking soda & powder.
- Also, never over-mix your batter,else your cake will not rise.
- Pour your batter in the cake pan. You can grease it with oil or baking paper depending on what you have at hand.
- Bake your batter for 30-35 min at 180°C, depending on your oven the time may vary. Keep checking your cake after first 25 min, by insterting a toothpick, to see whether it is done or not. Once your cake is done, the batter will not stick to your toothpick.
That’s it, your delicious cake is ready!!
You can serve it the way it is or add some toppings like I did, to make it even more appealing. Either way, that delicious taste of baked mangoes is going to be a treat to taste!
- Microwave the chocolate chips ( or chocolate bar) for 30-40 secs till they melt & add the coconut milk to bring it to the right consistency. The consistency of the chocolate frosting should be thick & pourable. avoid adding too much of the milk. Once done. pour the thick liquid chocolate over your cake.
- You can top it with freshly chopped mangoes & holy basil leaves and sprinkle some coconut milk to add more appeal.
That’s it, your healthy & delicious mango cake is done! This cake is vegan, eggless, made from whole wheat & yet extremely soft, fluffy & delicious!!
Do try it out and let me know how it goes!!